Sectoral assessment of greenhouse gas emissions in Pakistan

Mir, K.A., Purohit, P. ORCID:, & Mehmood, S. (2017). Sectoral assessment of greenhouse gas emissions in Pakistan. Environmental Science and Pollution Research 24 (35) 27345-27355. 10.1007/s11356-017-0354-y.

[thumbnail of ESPR paper Oct 2017.pdf]
ESPR paper Oct 2017.pdf - Accepted Version
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution.

Download (412kB) | Preview
[thumbnail of Supplementary Information_Revised.docx] Text
Supplementary Information_Revised.docx - Supplemental Material
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution.

Download (75kB)


In this study, an attempt has been made to develop inventory of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions for Pakistan at the national and sectoral level. The emission profile includes carbon dioxide (CO2), methane (CH4), and nitrous oxide (N2O). In 2012, GHG emissions from different sectors of economy are estimated at 367 Tg CO2eq. Out of this, CO2 emissions were 179 Tg; CH4 emissions were 107 Tg CO2eq; and N2O emissions were 81 Tg CO2eq. Energy and agriculture sectors contribute approximately 89% of national GHG emissions. Industrial processes, waste, and land use change and forestry (LUCF) sectors contribute the remaining 11% GHG emissions. A comparison with the 1994 GHG emission inventory of Pakistan shows that GHG emissions in Pakistan from 1994 to 2012 have increased at an annual growth rate of 4.1% and yet anticipated to increase further for meeting the national developmental goals; however, the per capita emissions in Pakistan will remain low when compared with the global average.

Item Type: Article
Uncontrolled Keywords: Greenhouse gas inventory, Fossil fuel combustion, Industrial processes, Waste Agriculture, Land use change and forestry (LUCF)
Research Programs: Air Quality & Greenhouse Gases (AIR)
Mitigation of Air Pollution (MAG)
Depositing User: Luke Kirwan
Date Deposited: 05 Oct 2017 11:38
Last Modified: 27 Aug 2021 17:29

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item